Copper vs PEX pipes
Copper vs PEX pipes, which is better?
Copper or Pex pipes? Which one should you pick? Well to answer these questions, we first look at what each type of pipes is, which one is easiest to install and what the benefits and disadvantages of each are.
What is PEX Repipe?
PEX is an acronym for cross-linked polyethylene. PEX tubes are flexible, durable, proven piping products that have been used in plumbing systems since 1980’s. PEX tubes won’t pit, scale or corrode and they are highly resistant to extreme high and low temperatures.
What are the benefits of PEX Pipes?
- PEX It is less expensive than copper.
- PEX flexibility allows faster installation.
- PEX can be bent around corners, requiring fewer connections and fittings.
- PEX is quieter than copper pipe.
- PEX tends to insulate, resisting heat gain or loss.
- PEX manufacturer’s warranty is 25 years, but it is backed by our lifetime guarantee.
What is Copper Repipe?
Copper repiping means replacing your old and corroded galvanized pipes with copper pipes. Copper pipes are resistant to corrosion, they last longer, they have a manufacturers guarantee of 50 years. Copper Pipes resist well in Hot and Cold temperatures therefore, they are used outside of the house.
What are the advantages of using Copper Pipes?
Here are some of the advantages of copper pipes:
- Copper can be used outside of the house, and isn’t harmed by UV exposure.
- Copper resists burning and doesn’t release toxic gases even when it does burn.
- Copper has a manufacturers guarantee of 50 years.
- Copper is recyclable
- Copper is corrosion resistant
Which one should I pick? Copper or PEX?
Which one should you pick? It all depends on what your budget is and which one would last longer. PEX is easier and faster to install and less expensive than copper so in effect you will save money both in cost of PEX pipes and cost of labor, but it has a manufacturer guarantee of 25 years.
Copper repiping is a little more expensive than PEX repiping because it is a metal and it’s recyclable which has value and it’s more difficult to install, since it requires expert copper repipe specialists to perform the work. and copper has a manufacturers guarantee of 50 years.
Call us today at 1-855-844-3800 or fill out our Free Estimate Form and we’ll get in touch with you promptly.